- PhD, Computer Science @ University of Washington
- September 2022 – now
- Master of Science, Computer Science @ North Carolina State University
- August 2019 – May 2021, graduated with a 4.0.
- Graduate minor in electrical engineering, specializing in system architectures and hardware security.
- (Thesis) Side Channel Attacks on Real-World Devices: A Case Study on Apple iPhones.
- Bachelor of Science, Computer Science @ Kennesaw State University
- August 2016 – May 2019, graduated with a 3.85.
- Currently: PhD student @ Security and Privacy Lab, UW
- Embedded Software Engineer @ KCF Technologies
- September 2021 – July 2022
- Led design and development of operating system (OS), firmware, and various security technologies for an ARM-based networking product. This included implementation of critical features such as secure boot, as well as initial steps towards a trusted execution environment.
- Developed and enabled OS support for novel product features (edge compute, certificate management, logging and introspection).
- Maintained all build infrastructure for this product (including CI and local builds) while keeping best security practices for these in mind.
- Developed procedures for testing and upgrading both the userspace tooling, as well as the product’s kernel.
- Research Assistant @ HECTOR Lab, NCSU
- January 2020 – August 2021
- Researched side channel attacks (SCAs) on Apple iPhones — a novel, previously unexplored platform.
- Wrote two papers on both digital and analog SCAs, involving thorough reverse-engineering of Apple’s proprietary software and hardware components.
- Designed and built extensive custom infrastructure (now open-sourced!) to support this research, ranging from experiment control systems to massively parallelized data analysis platforms.
- Reviewed current papers in the SCA field, staying up to date on novel attacks and defenses.
- Development Intern @ NoviSystems Inc
- Designed and developed a resource-monitoring platform to profile a large-scale, heterogeneous distributed machine learning application.
- Identified and fixed bugs throughout the company’s application and infrastructure stack.
- Began work on an FPGA-based hardware acceleration platform for the machine learning application. Implemented a solution for accelerated regex matching.
- Engineering Intern @ B&R Industrial Automation
- Used B&R’s software design tools to learn to program automated industrial systems.
- Fixed and maintained various projects around the office, including product demos, automatic door security systems, and voltage transformers.
Invited Talks & Presentations
- openc8 Hardware Demo: Hardware demonstration and presentation at IEEE HOST
Media & Outreach
- NC State researchers develop toolkit to test vulnerabilities in Apple devices, and find one. Jason Parker with WRAL TechWire.
- NC State researchers develop tool to test security of Apple devices. Brief interview on WRAL.
- Security bods boost Apple iPhone hardware attack research with iTimed toolkit. Gareth Halfacree with The Register.
- NC State researchers find security vulnerabilities with some older iPhones. Brief interview on CBS17.
- Researchers Develop Toolkit to Test Apple Security, Find Vulnerability. Matt Shipman with NCSU.